|The Salvation Army
Eliza Shirley House
Emergency Shelter Services
The Salvation Army Eliza Shirley House provides emergency shelter services for homeless single women and families 365 days of the year. The shelter provides decent safe and sanitary housing, and healthy nutritious meals, in an orderly environment.
The shelter also serves as an Intake Reception Site on week nights (after 4:00 p.m.), weekends, and holidays. The City of Philadelphia's Office of Supportive Housing (OSH) assists all women and families during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Single Homeless Women
- Homeless Mothers or Fathers with Children
- Must be a resident of Philadelphia
Minors, unless they have verification of emancipation; single men, except fathers with children; and all individuals refusing to take their prescribed medications, are not eligilble for admission into the program.
- Thomas Jefferson University: Doctor w/Interns, nurses assess the medical needs of residents.
- Drexel University: Doctor w/Interns, nurses assess medical needs of clients
- HIV Presentations: HIV Testing and HIV Counseling
- Empowering Women's Group: Group discussion addressing stress, anger, shame, low self-esteem, guilt & other presenting issues.
Arts & Crafts
- Volunteers come on a weekly basis and provide arts and crafts classes for children and adults.
- Shelter staff provide a variety of creative projects for the children on a weekly basis.
- Activity Group provides educational activities
- Bible Study/Spiritual Guidance Salvation Army Officer
- Area churches provide services to the women and children at the shelter throughout the month.
- Daily Devotions
- Movie Night
- Adult and Children Arts & Crafts
- Game Night
- Reading (Library on premises)
- Hiking Trips
- Ball Games
- Sight-seeing in Center-City District
- Legal Services: refer clients to legal services at another facility
- Drug & Alcohol Counseling
- Recovery After Work
- Drug & Alcohol Meetings: information is distributed listing all D/A meetings held in the Center City area
- Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition: refer clients for G.E.D., job placement, and housing
- Women of Transition: empowerment counseling for women who have suffered domestic abuse
- Women Organized Against Rape (W.O.A.R): assist women through counseling to begin to deal with their rape issues
- Youth Center: classes for youth development
- Mary Howard Clinic / The Health Center: referrals for women without medical coverage
The Salvation Army Eliza Shirley House Mission
The Mission of the Eliza Shirley House is to treat all people we serve with a spirit of fairness, kindness and tolerance in a respectful, non-judgmental manner, in an attempt to help them to solve their problems and to meet their needs.